References to magical healing waters in this location are found from as early as the 13th century, therefore a hospital was located on this site during the Middle Ages. These springs were later favoured by the Turks as well, as they were larger and hotter than the Buda baths of the era. In the 17th century, the site was named Sárosfürdő (Muddy bath) because of the fine spring silt that was pushed up together with the spring water and settled at the bottom of the pools.
The Gellert Thermal Bath and Hotel, known world-wide and highly favoured by foreigners, built in Art-Nouveau style, opened its gates in 1918 and was expanded in 1927 by the wave-bath and in 1934 by the effervescent bath. It was damaged during World War II, but then rebuilt. The Gellért Bath underwent its first extensive renovation in 2008. The bath closed only once in its almost century long existence due to a burst pipe. The Gellert was open even during World War II. Towards the end of the war the prestigious Art-Nouveau women’s thermal bath was bombed, destroying the Zsolnay pyrogranite facade and the wooden interior of the dressing rooms. Due to economic condition following the war, the thermal bath was redesigned in a much more puritanical manner. The 2008 reconstruction served to restore the bath to its original splendor. In the course of the modernization accomplished in our days, the sitting-pool in the swimming complex, the outdoor sitting pool and the children’s pool were renovated; they were equipped with a state-of-the art water filtering and circulation device. At present, nearly all healing facilities may be used in the Gellert Thermal Bath. The Bath includes a department offering complex thermal bath facilities (daytime/outpatient hospital), it also has an inhalatorium.