The Rudas Thermal Bath was established as early as the 16th century, during the time of the Turkish occupation. Its central part includes an octagonal pool covered by a 10 meter diameter dome. At the end of the 19th century, a therapeutic swimming facility and a sauna was added. The bath also has a daytime outpatient hospital with a complex physiotherapeutic section, as well as a drinking hall, offering drinking cures from three water springs: Hungária, Attila and Juventus. The Rudas Thermal Bath has six steam pools and a swimming pool. The swimming pool has 278 square meters
of water surface and 29C water temperature. In the steam pool section the largest pool offers 96.5 square meters of water surface and 36 °C water temperature, there are four 9 square meter large pools with 28-30-33 and 42 °C water temperature, and the smallest pool is 4.5 square meters, with 16 °C water temperature. The hot spring of the thermal bath is radio-active, rich in calcium, magnesium, fluoride ions, hydrogen carbonate, sulphate and sodium.
The modernization of the area surrounding the Gellert Hill started to happen during the era of IV. Béla. Knights of the Johannes order built up a spital here along with a bath that still stood during the turkish invasion. The turks then altered the building somewhat and created the Rudas bath for their own purposes.The construction of the Rudas bath (1566-1572) can be linked to the name of Pasha Mustafa Szokoli, and it was a great architectural success, people still use it as it is, operating with minor repairs from time to time. Rudas was an “ilidzsa” type bath that was functioning by using the water sources of the hill. According to turkish tradition the “ilidzsa” was a bath with a great central pool above thermal water springs, while the “hamam” (steambath) was built around a great sweatstone.